Re: [ontolog-forum] Two ontologies that are inconsistent but both needed

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Chris Partridge" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 22:34:58 +0100

VQ> What I
>say is:  once you accept the distinction between continuants and
>occurents, some of these definitions of avalanche speak of continuants,
>some of occurrents.  So the question 'is an avalanche an occurrent or a
>continuant' is ill-posed, since one does not know what you are asking
>about -- the mass of snow or its falling.  Once you do *not* accept the
>distinction, the question is even more ill-posed.    (01)

If I am investigating what can be a continuant or an occurrent - can I not
ask whether, when I am looking at an avalanche (whether there is any
definition or not), it makes sense to talk of there being with a continuant
or an occurrent or both - and how do I decide this. Say, for example, there
cannot, in principle, be an avalanche occurrent, then it does not make sense
for me to talk of one. What I would be interested in is some explanation of
what these principles are.    (02)

As Bill has noted, the question is not semantic, but metaphysical.    (03)

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
10:46    (05)