Re: [ontolog-forum] Two ontologies that are inconsistent but bothneeded

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Smith, Barry" <phismith@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 13:07:09 -0500
At 04:51 PM 6/10/2007, you wrote:    (01)

WK:
>I believe I am not.  The issue is simply that you can't reasonably ask
>whether X is a continuant or an occurrent (the metaphysical distinction)
>if the term 'X' is used with meanings corresponding to both sides of the
>distinction, and you do not make clear which is the meaning you use.    (02)

BS:In my original response to Pat I had this:    (03)

>Avalanche theory is based on the distinction
>between granular layers (continuants) and flows
>(which when summed together make the avalanches themselves).    (04)

The moral is: if faced with a single word, you sometimes cannot tell
whether it refers to a continuant or an occurrent; in such a case,
you should look at what scientists with expertise in the
corresponding domain believe; encouragingly, they very often seem to
have developed sophisticated theories, as here, resting on an
oh-so-clear distinction between continuants and occurrents.
BS    (05)