Re: [ontolog-forum] {Disarmed} Reality and Truth

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Patrick Durusau <patrick@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 11:07:58 -0400
Ingvar,    (01)

Ingvar Johansson wrote:    (02)

>Ingvar Johansson schrieb:
>

>>paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx schrieb:
>>

>>>I cant resist a good provocation....!
>>>I would be interested in how you came to such categorical conclusion
>>>
>>>    Obviously there isn't a God (my own
>>>    view is the very idea of God embedded in
>>>    Christianity/Judaism/Islam is incoherent), so the
>>>    fact that so many people believe there is, is
>>>    something that needs to be explained.
>>>

>>Nor can I. Here are two well known and since long discussed incoherencies:
>>(a) God is omniscient, omnipotent, and, so to speak, omnigood.
>>Nonetheless, incredibly cruel and evil things take place on Earth every day.
>>(b) God is omniscient, but he has given human beings a free will so he
>>cannot predict how we will act.
>>

>No one has so far commented on my mail, but since I will soon leave my
>computer I will now comment on it myself.
>
>Intellectually, there is an easy solution to both the incoherencies
>above. One has merely to say that *before* God created man he was
>omniscient and omnipotent, but that *after* this creation he is, becasue
>of the free will of human beings, no longer so. However, I guess it is
>emotionally disturbing for believers in God to believe that in fact he
>is not truly almighty, and that this is the reason why theologians have
>not chosen this solution.

Sorry for not catching your post earlier!    (03)

Actually the problem in theology is known as theodicy, the problem of
the co-existence of evil and a deity.    (04)

Cultures from the Babylonians forward have wrestled with the issue.    (05)

Another way out of the "incoherencies" is to note that the complaint is
rooted in a human centered view of religion. That is the Deity exists
for what can be done for us.
Could well be omnicient and omnipotent but simply has other cares or
concerns.    (06)

Hope you are looking forward to a great weekend!    (07)

Patrick    (08)

>best,
>Ingvar J

Patrick Durusau
Patrick@xxxxxxxxxxx
Member, Text Encoding Initiative Board of Directors, 2003-2005    (010)

Topic Maps: Human, not artificial, intelligence at work!     (011)