Re: [ontolog-forum] {Disarmed} Reality and Truth

To: <patrick@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Cassidy, Patrick J." <pcassidy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 17:08:20 -0400
Patrick
  I read the book and the review(s) - more than one.
  The main complaints of the negative reviewers (including the London
Review) is that Dawkins is "Theologically Illiterate" and one example
was that Dawkins failed to note that there are a lot of theologians who
believe that God created man out of "Love".    (01)

  Well, Dawkins's position is that there are multiple theories of
theology and no discernable way to verify one versus the other, and
that in the absence of any empirical way to choose one theory over
another the whole exercise must be considered a waste of time, at
least.  He is actually a lot more emphatic than the latter
characterization.  I think that to fault someone for not immersing
himself in the details of multiple competing theories for which no
evidence can possibly be found is not a fair criticism of the content
of the book.  But that is not the reason I made that comment - it was
in answer to a question about reclassification.    (02)

  This is, however, relevant to this thread.    (03)

  One of the problems I have felt in the discussions here has been the
absence of detailed logical characterization of the terms being used.
For Dawkins and the theologians, "Love" as experienced by God has, I
suspect, never been the topic of a logical ontological representation.
For one of the earlier discussions, "cultural relativism" (and related
concepts) seems to have been interpreted differently by some of the
discussants.    (04)

  When we do get into discussions where the meanings of the terms
appear not to be universally agreed on, I think that as ontologists we
should set a good example and define the terms we are discussing in
ontological format.    (05)

Pat    (06)

Patrick Cassidy
CNTR-MITRE