Re: [ontolog-forum] Common Logic Controlled English (CLCE)

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Adrian Walker" <adriandwalker@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 17:38:37 -0400
Jim --

You wrote....

My general unease with CLCE--whose goals I applaud--is that it may be
entirely too easy for readers to apply common sense and common usage of
words--when the CLCE statement includes neither--thereby drawing
unintended conclusions.  ("It's not what we don't know that hurts, it's
what we know that ain't so.")  Hopefully, not an insoluble problem, but
definitely a difficult one.

There's actually something that mitigates the problem in an English-on-Logic system.

So long as the English sentences are tied bidirectionally and computationally to predicates, one can extract proof trees and map them into English for explanations.  Then, a conclusion that appears surprising, or just plain wrong, can be explained at the business or scientific level, rather than by trying to read program traces.

As you may know, this works fine in the Internet Business Logic system [1], which supports uncontrolled English

 I'll leave it up to John Sowa to respond on behalf of CLCE.

Anyone know if Attempto controlled English has an explanation feature?

                                            Cheers,   -- Adrian

[1]  A Wiki for Executable Open Vocabulary English
Online at www.reengineeringllc.com    Shared use is free

Adrian Walker
Reengineering