Re: [ontolog-forum] The Relation Between Logic and Ontology inMetaphysic

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 22:55:18 +0700
HI Barry    (01)

Thanks for your interest in my work, may I ask what aspect in
particular interest you?    (02)

I am not at liberty to disclose  work done for third parties but I ll
check if I can excerpts meaningful bits from some open projects for
discussion.    (03)

There is one open source project which is ongoing that I am working on
(or at least I should) that I am  happy to discuss (and recruit contibutors to)    (04)

I think I may have mentioned this before on this list in relation to
emergency response
At sahana.lk one of the early project contributors created a
controlled vocabulary based on knowlege he inherited from
'authoritative' sources, such as the Red Cross IRC and the fire
brigades and other people he worked with    (05)

 There have been debates  aong various team members as to why we
should have a controlled vocabulary (sounds something for freaks to
them), and why is it not called glossary, etc, which I have managed to
some extent.    (06)

This compilation  is actually sitting in a file and few of the
developers actually use it, which is one of the problems that I am
trying to address  It's a good start but it is incomplete, partial,
and there are problems.
The question is that some of the terminology adopted in this first
version of the cv may well be derived from authoritative sources but
it has not been open for discussion within the community, so we need
to re-evaluate what we have, and ideally develop our 'own'
terminologyfrom there that we hope will reflect a wider perspective,
as well as being 'valid'.    (07)

Lots and lots of issues there. For example, when a developer adopts a
term in their system, I am requesting that they create an entry in the
relevant section of the controlled vocabulary, first for discussion
and approval, then for adoption by other developers who may need to
use the same term in the future. I have not looked at the updates in
months now
so I dont know if there has been any progress there (I doubt it)    (08)

You ll be able to access all reasources by going to the sahana.lk
website, signing up on the relevant list and searching for the temr
'controlled vocabulary' in the discussion, and some items may also be
linked on the resources    (09)

That project definitely needs attention, and I only have very small
windows there, so any contribution  is welcome    (010)

Let me know what you think
cheers    (011)

Paola    (012)

On 3/17/07, Smith, Barry <phismith@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> At 11:32 PM 3/16/2007, paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >Paola: I build controlled vocabularies, work with developers to have them
> >impemented,  make sure that ontology layer is  not overlooked at
> >project mangement level, and I dont' see your (albeing interesting)
> >discussion  can help me, and people like me
>
> Can we see an example of one of the controlled vocabularies, or of
> some fragment thereof?
> BS

Paola Di Maio
School of IT, MFU.ac.th