Re: [ontolog-forum] The Relation Between Logic and Ontology inMetaphysic

To: Chris Menzel <cmenzel@xxxxxxxx>, "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 11:29:11 -0500
Chris,    (01)

I also taught introductory logic (long before I discovered
Peirce's graphs), and I'm painfully aware of that fact:    (02)

CM> ... from my own experience teaching these subjects
 > the "fairly easily" applies to people who have a reasonably
 > strong background in mathematics.  Starting from scratch,
 > with little pure mathematics in one's background I would
 > say it takes about a year of regular study to master the
 > fundamentals.    (03)

And by the way, I have found that teaching introductory
logic in terms of Peirce's existential graphs is a very big
help in getting *both* kinds of students up to speed much
more quickly.    (04)

Many nonmathematicians have bad feelings about algebra
from their high-school days -- even those who seem to be
otherwise quite sane.  And the diagrams get them over the
"speed bump" more quickly.    (05)