Re: [ontolog-forum] Common Logic Controlled English (CLCE)

To: <matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 10:08:18 -0500
>Dear Chris and John,
>
><snip>
>
>>  (As an aside, I seem to recall Matthew West's 'High Quality
>>  Data Models
>>  paper' notes this - or something similar as a common modelling error -
>>  Matthew can confirm whether this is the case.)
>
>MW: Actually is was a modelling principle, that entity types should be
>based on the underlying nature of a thing rather than a role that it
>plays.    (01)

Guarino & Welty's "OntoClean" has the same
principle, expressed differently (they use modal
necessity-talk rather than role-talk, and speak
of 'rigid properties', ie non-role properties).
It sure seems to make sense.    (02)

Pat    (03)

>MW: Following this approach relations were also modelled as entity types
>and roles were modelled on the relationships (E-R sense) linking the
>relations to the domains of the things they related.
>
>Regards
>
>Matthew West
>Reference Data Architecture and Standards Manager
>Shell International Petroleum Company Limited
>Shell Centre, London SE1 7NA, United Kingdom
>
>Tel: +44 20 7934 4490 Mobile: +44 7796 336538
>Email: matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx
>http://www.shell.com
>http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/

IHMC            (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.    (850)202 4416   office
phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (05)