Re: [ontolog-forum] Common Logic Controlled English (CLCE)

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 07:44:52 -0500
Dear Matthew,    (01)

I agree that the distinction is essential, but that approach
makes it difficult to express all necessary constraints:    (02)

> MW: Actually it was a modelling principle, that entity types should be
> based on the underlying nature of a thing rather than a role that it
> plays.
>
> MW: Following this approach relations were also modelled as entity types
> and roles were modelled on the relationships (E-R sense) linking the
> relations to the domains of the things they related.    (03)

But I put all types in a single hierarchy, in which all roles are
under the type Role.  Since the hierarchy is a lattice, it allows
all possible combinations, such as MaleEmployee or PregnantEmployee.    (04)

This approach makes it possible to state constraints on
permissible relationships very conveniently.  For example,
a relationship that is restricted to PregnantEngineerEmployee
can be hard to represent in a typical E-R diagram.    (05)