Re: [ontolog-forum] Common Logic Controlled English (CLCE)

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Chris Partridge" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 09:42:03 -0000
The issue seems to me: how important it is capture an accurate
representation of what the information in a system is referring to?    (01)

In some cases, it needs to be more accurate than person > employee. For
example, if both HR systems for two companies have employees as a sub-type
of persons, and the companies are merged. And the HR systems are to be
merged. Then merely being an employee is not fine enough grained - one needs
to know which company an employee is an employee of.    (02)

My understanding is that one of the threads going though ontology work is
that it provides a representation that helps semantic interoperability by
providing a common representation. So, I would expect, there to be some form
of ontological analysis that reveals that employees are not simply sub-types
of persons, so that when HR systems are merged, one does not get these
problems. (BTW in most large companies there are a variety of legal entities
and the HR department needs to know which employs whom - so this issue would
come out even within a system).     (03)

To show that this is not a wholly unrealistic expectation, the original
ontologist's analysis of the ancient Athenian version of employment
(slavery) was as a relative (relation) - not a sub-type.     (04)

Aristotle, Categories: SECTION 2, Part 7. "... All relatives have
correlatives: by the term 'slave' we mean the slave of a master, by the term
'master', the master of a slave;"    (05)

So by employee we mean employee of an employer?    (06)

Regards,
Chris    (07)