Re: [ontolog-forum] Defining Concept

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Deborah MacPherson" <debmacp@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 11:24:57 -0500
Why does it have to be a word? Why cant it be a drawing instead? An unlabeled map, or labels of ontology specific words could turn on and off.

By drawing I mean the full extent of one universal view governed by one ontology. Another area, another ontology, a different drawing.

Debbie MacPherson

On 1/19/07, Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>  > Facet
>>
>>  Assembly
>>
>>  Bound or Bounded
>>
>>  Prime (as in an indivisible prime number)
>>
>>  Set
>>
>>  Totality
>>
>>  or
>>
>>  Resource
>
>er... what problem is being sorted out here? All of these
>terms are already overloaded to the nth degree and
>have non-overlapping meanings; as does
>Aspect. If there was ever a good example of why ontology
>can and should use an axiomatised formalisation
>instead of natural language terms, then
>I guess this is it! :-)

I entirely agree. It is impossible to use a
normal English word to express something
technical without  its being overloaded.

I have another problem with this thread: I have
no idea what, er, concept is being discussed.
Charles said:

"....  a universal, non-divisible idea.  This "concept"
when combined with others forms the definition of an entity."

Wha?? First, what distinguishes "universal" ideas
from (I presume) non-universal ones? Second, what
does it mean for an idea to be "divisible"?
Third, what kind of combination are we talking
about? I would suggest (following Fodor) that the
key idea here is not the things you are calling
'concepts', which in almost every detailed
account that has ever been put forward turn out
to be little more than nodes in a graph or points
in a space, but rather the 'combinations' that
they take part in, or rather still the
*structure* of these combinations. It is the
space (or maybe, the network, or the relational
structure, or whatever one wants to call it)
which matters and which gives the
points/nodes/names/identifiers in it the
"conceptual" structure that they have.

Pat Hayes

>John B.

IHMC            (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.    (850)202 4416   office
Pensacola                       (850)202 4440   fax
FL 32502                        (850)291 0667    cell
phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes

Deborah MacPherson
www.accuracyandaesthetics.com
www.deborahmacpherson.com

The content of this email may contain private
confidential information. Do not forward, copy,
share, or otherwise distribute without explicit
written permission from all correspondents.