Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology and Databases

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Christopher Menzel <cmenzel@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 17:56:34 -0500
> Well I think this is only part of what you need to look at. Logic
> based ontology languages have elements that are both classes and
> instances.    (01)

Well, they *can* have such objects, but they needn't.    (02)

> Apart from that, and looking at what Chris mentions below, my
> experience is that different languages have different capabilities
> and limitations, and you need to first of all look at the limitations
> in your source format, and try to make sure when you translate, not
> to introduce the unintended limiations from the first language in
> the second.
>
> Regards
>
> Matthew
>
> PS. Note to Chris on contradictions:
>
> Data models are ontologies
> Common Logic has a Data Model
> Therefore Common logic is NOT an ontology???    (03)

Well, CL is a specification of a class of logical languages, so I
guess you might say that it is (or at least could be presented as) an
ontology of that class.  I'm afraid I'm not sure what you mean by
CL's data model.    (04)

As for CL dialects themselves, none of them is an ontology except in
the most attenuated sense, since the only axioms that are "built in"
to a CL dialect are purely general, logical truths like "for any x
and any P, if x has P, then something has P" which are presumably
true in *any* ontology.    (05)

-chris    (06)