Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology and Databases

To: <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: <matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 13:42:05 +0100
Dear Antoinette,    (01)

Well I think this is only part of what you need to look at. Logic
based ontology languages have elements that are both classes and
instances. When you translate that into a database, the instances
become database records. Therefore there is a key design decision
about what in your ontology to have in the database structure, and
what to hold as data.    (02)

Apart from that, and looking at what Chris mentions below, my
experience is that different languages have different capabilities
and limitations, and you need to first of all look at the limitations
in your source format, and try to make sure when you translate, not
to introduce the unintended limiations from the first language in
the second.    (03)

Regards    (04)

Matthew    (05)

PS. Note to Chris on contradictions:    (06)

Data models are ontologies
Common Logic has a Data Model
Therefore Common logic is NOT an ontology???    (07)