Re: [ontolog-forum] Light weight ontology editor?

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Bill Jarrold <jarrold@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 13:19:16 -0700
Hi,    (01)

To be honest my preference of light weight ontology editors is emacs
(a standard ascii text editor
that is found in unix/linux/mac and windows under e.g. cygwin).  This
is based on 10 years of experience
using Cyc and 2 years of experience using KM.  Both of these systems
have several GUI based editors
on top of them.    (02)

Throughout this time, I have found that text editors (such as emacs
or even vi) to be faster, more portable,
reliable, lightweight, less buggy, and more customizable than GUI
based editors.  The ability to search
over *anything* is extremely valuable and has always been overlooked
in the GUI editors I have used.
Likewise the ability to add comments "in the code" is extremely
important for ontology development.    (03)

Would this be appropriate for your class? Well, if your students tend
to be software engineers
the probability of answering yes to this question goes up.  If they
are less experienced with
software development, then a GUI based editor (such as Protege or
Swoop) becomes a better
option.  That said there are exceptions.  For example, I am not a
software engineer and I know
of philsosophy educated ontologists who are not software engineers
that, like me, prefer
simple text editors such as emacs.  Those of us who prefer plain old
ascii text editors seem to be
in the minority.    (04)

(If you are wanting to edit owl in emacs though you might be in for
some problems.  I have not
tried to do this much but it seems to me that owl is less human
readable than e.g. KM, CycL or KIF).    (05)

Well, this opinion probably won't help you much with your course
dilema but hopefully it will
broaden the perspective and motivate more improved ontology user
interfaces.    (06)

Bill    (07)