Re: [ontolog-forum] Light weight ontology editor?

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Doug Holmes <dholmes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 11:56:31 -0700
true, but what is near-to perfect?  Protégé is, I think, a very good
tool for a one-semester graduate course, in just about any discipline
I can think of that would incorporate an interest in "ontology" [with
a minor case "o"]. It has support for both frame representations and
DL (owl, rdf) representations.  It has a wide range of plug-ins that
will probably support just about any aspect  of a topic or project a
student might like to develop ; it has a vital community of
developers and users that keep it in the vanguard of a lot of the
significant related technologies and disciplines and they are very
tolerant and supportive of "student-type" questions; It supports, via
DIG, all the principle reasoners [Racer, FAcT++, KAON2 and Pellet]
and several rule engines in a very straightforward way.  Finally, its
open source AND free.  If I were teaching a graduate course, Protégé
would be my preference.
Doug    (01)

On Oct 23, 2006, at 7:40 AM, Charles D Turnitsa wrote:    (02)