RE: Database and Ontologies [was-Re: [ontolog-forum] A problem]

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Itzhak Roth <itzhak@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 09:59:12 -0400
Friends,    (01)

In my project, using Unicorn technology for life-science type of research
data we bridge ontologies to database enabling the generation of SQL
queries using ontological terms. This is possibly the most straight forward
use of ontologies. The ontology completely shields the users from the
complexity and nomenclature of the databases. The application, so we hope,
will lead to better collaboration and reuse of research data, and there is
a lot of it.    (02)

This is done so far without inferring anything from the ontology and
projecting to the database. I believe that this is the natural progression
of the trend.    (03)

Regards,    (04)

BTW, Unicorn was acquired by IBM on May 2006.    (05)

Itzhak Roth
Center of Excellence for Data Integration (CEDI)
301-527-6617
610-389-2784
itzhak@xxxxxxxxxx    (06)

             <matthew.west@she
             ll.com>
             ontolog-forum-bou         <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
             nces@xxxxxxxxxxxx                                          cc
             .net
                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: Database and Ontologies
             08/16/2006 03:54          [was-Re: [ontolog-forum] A problem]
             AM                                                                (07)

             Please respond to
             "[ontolog-forum]
                     "
             <ontolog-forum@on
              tolog.cim3.net>                                                  (08)

Dear Colleagues,    (09)

My work at Shell is mostly about using ontology to improve the way we
manage our data in databases including data modelling and database design.
I've been working in that area for 25-30 years now (not always called
ontology of course).    (010)

I agree with Mike about the roles of relational databases and XML.
Databases are good for storage and retreival of large volumes of data, XML
is good for serialization (and transmission) of relatively complex data. We
need both.    (011)

Regards    (012)

Matthew West
Reference Data Architecture and Standards Manager
Shell International Petroleum Company Limited
Shell Centre, London SE1 7NA, United Kingdom    (013)

Tel: +44 20 7934 4490 Mobile: +44 7796 336538
Email: matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.shell.com
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/    (014)