RE: Database and Ontologies [was-Re: [ontolog-forum] A problem]

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Chiusano Joseph" <chiusano_joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 12:42:47 -0400
Hi Duane,    (01)

<Quote>
According to most common definitions of the terms, information is either
structured or unstructured.  How can it be "semi-structured"?  If is has some
structure, then it is structured ipso facto.
</Quote>     (02)

Not intending to sidetrack us: The FEA Data Reference Model (DRM) defines a
semi-structured data resource as "A Digital Data Resource containing
semi-structured data. This will generally consist in part of structured data
and in part of unstructured data.". See p.23 of [1] for definition of Digital
Data Resource, and p.21 for the Data Description abstract model that includes
these concepts.    (03)

Joe    (04)

[1] http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/egov/documents/DRM_2_0_Final.pdf    (05)

Kind Regards,