Re: [uom-ontology-std] What is mass?

To: uom-ontology-std <uom-ontology-std@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, David Leal <david.leal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 12:39:38 -0500

On Oct 5, 2009, at 4:13 AM, David Leal wrote:    (01)

> Dear All,
>
> As far as I can see there are two views:
>
> 1) A trope-based view. With this view, length (a member of Ed's kind
> of
> quantity - Q1) is class of trope. Waterline length is a subclasses
> of the
> length trope.
>
> 2) A function-based based view. With this view, length (a member of
> Ed's
> kind of quantity - Q4) is a set of equivalence classes of point pairs.    (02)

or, of finite lines in space. Leaving to another ontology (of spatial
geometry) the task of specifying what a finite spatial line is. This
allows for such things as the length of a curved line, which the point-
pair description misses.    (03)

Pat    (04)

phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (06)