Re: [uom-ontology-std] What is mass?

To: uom-ontology-std <uom-ontology-std@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Matthew West <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 12:46:22 -0500

On Oct 5, 2009, at 5:44 AM, Matthew West wrote:    (01)

> Dear John,
>
> You are conflating two usages of intensional, so it is not I who is
> suffering from a philosophers desease.
>
>> I believe that Matthew has caught a "philosopher's disease"
>> as Wittgenstein would say.  Matthew is trying to force
>> extensional definitions on concepts that cannot be defined
>> by pointing to a concrete set.

>> PH> The question is meaningless.
>
> MW: If you are claiming that maximum allowable working temperature
> is a
> subtype of temperature,    (02)

BUt I did not claim this. I said, m.a.t's are temperatures. This means
that the SET of mits is a subSET (not subtype) of the SET of
temperatures, indeed. I have no idea how large this subset is, nor do
I care. The answer will depend upon historical research and has no
bearing on the ontology.    (03)

> it seems perfectly reasonable to me. It is not
> different from asking "How do I know which pieces of equipment are
> pumps?" Is that a meaningless question?    (04)

No, and its not like asking that. It is more like asking, which colors
are pretty? There isn't any way, given a color in isolation, to judge
whether or not it is pretty. The question is meaningless.
Nevertheless, people do refer to pretty colors, and every pretty color
is indeed a color.    (05)

I will ignore the rest of the debate (about intensionality).    (06)

Pat    (07)

phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (09)