Re: [uom-ontology-std] What is mass?

To: uom-ontology-std <uom-ontology-std@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Chris Partridge <partridgec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 14:53:31 -0500

On Oct 8, 2009, at 2:24 PM, Chris Partridge wrote:    (01)

> Pat, Matthew,
>
> I suspect that you two may know more than me in many areas - and it
> is quite
> a while - maybe 10 years - since I researched this in any depth.
>
>>> MW: Yes, I had  worked that out too. I also like extend this to
>>> think of
>>> branching worlds. So, for example, that all the possible worlds from
>>> here have up to here as a part, and have different parts hereafter.
> Etc.
>
> What is interesting is how the branching links mereology and
> identity - and
> enables transworld objects.
> I think that one will need to deal with situations here where a
> temporal
> stage of person can be simpliciter part of several different people
> (their
> different futures) - but only a temporal stage of one person in one
> possible
> world/history.    (02)

Right. There are some cases that have been discussed in (at least)
moral philosophy, involving identical twins, which at a very early
stage of fetal development, in some cases, were one blastula. If life
begins at conception, this is a difficulty. (See why I decided to
leave philosophy? :-)    (03)

> One could also have several histories of a person (or whatever)
> where no
> part overlapped (as the divergence occurred before they were born).
> After a person ceased to exists, s/he would be part of ALL the
> subsequent
> diverging worlds.
> But maybe (like 4D) it is a case of getting used to the consequences
> of a
> position.    (04)

There is a possibility much explored in science fiction, involving a
'matter transporter' which in fact disassembles its input, beams all
the needed information to the output device which then rebuilds an
exact replica; but then one of them goes wrong and leaves the original
intact, so 'the' person splits into two replicas. See 'Rogue Moon' by
Algys Budris, for example.    (05)

> I also think that branching may have some uses, but not be a full
> replacement for the Lewis apparatus - as one might want a similarity
> where
> there is no (potential for) identity at any time in the past, so the
> histories never meet.    (06)

The maximal ideal construction allows for this case.    (07)

> Or, another example, how far back the divergence occurred may not be
> a good
> measure for how similar we want to say situations are.    (08)

True, but in general, we should distinguish temporal alternativeness
from the alternativeness that gives rise to other modal notions.    (09)

> For some references see
> http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/identity-transworld/ - '4.3
> Transworld
> identity and conditions for identity over time'- (cf. Brody, B., 1980,
> Identity and Essence, Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press.,
> 114-15;
> 121 or Mills, E., 1991, "Forbes's Branching Conception of Possible
> Worlds",
> Analysis, 51: 48-50.)
>
> PH> Indeed, but (what I especially like) is that it gives many other
> ways
>> to 'branch', eg outwards spatially from a locally described
>> situation,
>> or backwards in the time-direction, when figuring out how something
>> that did happen could have happened.
>
> I believe that this is the way temporal logics often work (and some
> interpretations of physics - though this way out of my field). When
> I looked
> briefly, temporal logics used the metaphor of histories and
> branching, but I
> did not find any full-blooded 4D interpretation. (Pat am I right? I
> did not
> look very closely.)    (010)

Well, I've not been reading actively for a while, but the last time I
looked, future-branching was the most common case. That gives you
Priors S4 logic, if its done straightforwardly. Certainly most of the
AI planning formalisms assume a fixed past (often starting with state-
zero). The most sophisticated case Ive seen has two independent Kripke
relations, one giving a linear tense and the other being a possibility
between entire world-lines.    (011)

> But, to answer Pat's question, maybe there is room for a full-
> blooded 4D
> interpretation of branching.    (012)

I think there is also a connection to the Barwise/Perry notion of
'situation', which is singular in that it is 'partial' compared to a
Kripke/Lewis possible world. Chunks of 4D seem to have this quality.
But this is all very vague at present.    (013)

Pat    (014)

>>> http://www.informationjunction.co.uk/

phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (016)