Re: [uom-ontology-std] What is mass?

To: uom-ontology-std <uom-ontology-std@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Chris Partridge <partridgec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 15:15:11 -0500

On Oct 10, 2009, at 5:22 AM, Chris Partridge wrote:    (01)

> Pat,
>
>>> The fundamental distinction is between mathematical entities and
>>> physical entities:
>>>
>>> 1. The great developments in 20th century logic and set theory
>>>    were applied to purely mathematical topics.
>>
>> John, you keep asserting this, and it is completely false. I have
>> given you citations from everyone from Frege through Russell to
>> Quine,
>> taking in Church, Carnap, Tarski and others along the way. They all
>> used as primary examples, sets of non-mathematical things. None of
>> the
>> published set theories make any stipulation that the entities in the
>> sets are 'mathematical' in nature.
>
> Firstly, to avoid any misunderstanding I wholly support ALL your
> comments
> (maybe a first :-) ). It would be great if we could put the
> confusion about
> sets and identity criteria behind us.
>
> However, there is a small technical point related to the item copied
> above
> that is illuminating - and we have discussed it before.
> So, in a sense, I am asking for confirmation from you - and (if we
> agree)
> making sure that others on the list are clear about this point.
>
> ZF and most other 'standard' set theories do not have URelements.
> There are
> non-standard (less used?) set theories around that do (e.g. ZFU).
> For the
> mathematical project, is was useful not to have to assume the
> existence of
> URelements (why should maths depend upon this?) So, technically, in
> ZF there
> are no "non-mathematical things".    (02)

That is true, as you say, technically. The development of the
formalized axiomatic set theories was indeed largely motivated by
applications to the foundations of mathematics, and the holy grail of
that activity was to show that all of mathematics could be
reconstructed as an exercise in 'pure' set theory, i.e. a set theory
of nothing but sets, the idea being that this theory, made as small as
possible, would be a lot easier than the entirety of mathematics to
convince oneself was consistent. Hence such apparently pointless
activities as re-defining the integers using nothing but sets (in at
least two different ways), and so on. (The high period of this began
with Russell & Whitehead's Principia and was dealt a death-blow by
Goedel about 25 years later, though it took a while to actually die.)
A set theory without ur-elements is smaller than one with them. ZFU is
less used, or at any rate less talked about, than ZFC, since an
inconsistency in ZFU, if one were ever discovered, could be
attributable to the U's. However, this foundations-of-mathematical
minimalism is not in any sense an absolute restriction on set theory
itself. It is in fact kind of trivial to allow ur-elements to just
about any formal set theory which lacks them: they are just elements
of sets that are not themselves sets, and then the rest of the theory
(which is all about the sets, after all, being a set theory :-)
carries on just as before. There is nothing in ZFC or any other extant
formalized set theory, AFAIK, which requires ur-elements to be
excluded, or which postulates any construction which would become
problematic if there were ur-elements in the sets. Its just that ZFC
as written simply does not talk about them because it doesn't have
anything to say about them. I don't think its fair to call theories
with ur-elements "nonstandard". There are nonstandard set theories,
like Aczel's, which deny some of the ZFC axioms *about sets* (notably,
the axiom of foundation), which is why they are genuinely nonstandard.
But ZFU is just as standard as ZFC: in fact, to all intents and
purposes, it is ZFC with one more 'sort' added to the language.    (03)

Pat    (04)

phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (06)