Re: [uom-ontology-std] What is mass?

To: uom-ontology-std <uom-ontology-std@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2009 00:28:22 -0400
Chris and Dave,    (01)

One quibble is about the phrase "the same" is problematical
for both sets and types.    (02)

CP> Would you be happy with a re-phrasing of 1 and 2) as:
>
> 1a    Two sets are considered identical iff they have the same members.
>
> 2a    But two types are considered identical iff they have the same
> definitions
>
> Surely 1) is correct, but what about 2)?    (03)

As we have seen, one can argue about whether 1 is "the same" as 1.00.
For definitions, "the same" could be replaced by "provably equivalent"
but in some cases, the proof may be nontrivial.    (04)

DM> But if we're talking about the set of employees of company x and
> the set of union members at company x, if they happen to be the
> same and we declare them equivalent, then I think we've said
> something different.    (05)

That is a good reason why we need to distinguish sets and types.
The two sets are the same, but the type Employee has a very
different definition from the type UnionMember.    (06)

Both of those are examples of role types.  The base type would be
Person or HumanBeing.  But a human being in the role of Employee
has different implied relationships than the same human being
in the role of union member.    (07)