Re: [uom-ontology-std] What is mass?

To: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: uom-ontology-std <uom-ontology-std@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 16:06:11 -0500

On Oct 7, 2009, at 1:27 PM, John F. Sowa wrote:    (01)

> Pat,
>
> I agree with your comments, but I'll add a quibble.    (02)

OK, and a quibble back...    (03)

> It is certainly true that the identity criterion for sets
> (namely, having the same members) is simple.
>
> But the identity criterion for types is also easy to state:
> logically equivalent definitions.  But the proof of
> equivalence might be nontrivial.
>
> For mathematical sets,    (04)

There is no such thing as a 'mathematical' set. Sets are sets,
whatever they are sets of. Set theory is ontologically neutral.    (05)

> the "simple" criterion usually
> involves a proof of equivalence:  for anything other than
> small finite sets, it is necessary to prove that the two
> specifications determine exactly the same elements.    (06)

That is needed in order to SHOW that two sets are identical, yes.    (07)

> So there is not much difference for mathematical sets
> and types.  For real world entities, both sets and types
> have to address the same kinds of messy details.    (08)

If A is the set of all foodles, and B is the set of grongles, and if
every foodle is a grongle and vice versa, then A is the same set as B.
This argument works, and for the same reasons, whether foodles are a
mathematical abstraction, an kind of elementary particle, a
measurement of astronomical brightness or a way of cooking fish. LIke
I say, set theory is ontologically neutral.    (09)

Pat    (010)

phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (012)