Re: [uom-ontology-std] What is mass?

To: "'uom-ontology-std'" <uom-ontology-std@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Chris Partridge <partridgec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 19:16:00 +0100
John, (Pat,)    (01)

WRT the first statement (unfortunately deleted)     (02)

I'd like to thank Pat for his clear comments on intensional sets - this red
herring seems to come up every few weeks.    (03)

Maybe we should frame his response (or an earlier response by ChrisM) and
just refer to it in future.
" the identity criteria *for
> sets* are indeed extremely simple and completely beyond controversy:
> identity of sets simply means having the same members. There is no
> such thing as an intensional set, or a non-extensional set, or a set
> which changes with time, etc.. "
+1 as you would say.    (04)

JS>> Unfortunately, there was comparatively little work in analyzing the
> application of logic to the real world.
I assume by 'logic' here you mean 'sets' - as these are what you are
critiquing.
I suspect people like Lewis, Heller, Jubien and Sider would find your
comment odd (well, incorrect - well, logically false).     (05)

WRT the second statement (unfortunately deleted)    (06)

> 2a    But two types are considered identical iff they have the same
> definitions    (07)

I do not see much connection between your comments below and the concerns I
raised.    (08)

You responded earlier - For definitions, "the same" could be replaced by
"provably equivalent"
but in some cases, the proof may be nontrivial.    (09)

So (taking a classic case) using your proposed criteria, how does one prove
whether or not these two are identical:
- The author of Waverly
- The person named Walter Scott
Or
- The person named Cicero
- The person named Tully    (010)

Does it depend upon the logic you use or the axioms in the system?
Do you need question begging axioms such as (Cicero = Tully) to show they
are identical.    (011)

Would you be happy with a situation where these were NOT identical? Because
they were not "provably equivalent".    (012)

Just to be clear, I am not arguing for one side or the other, I just think
we need to be clear.    (013)

Regards,
Chris Partridge
Chief Ontologist    (014)

Mobile:     +44 790 5167263
Phone:      +44 20 81331891
Fax:            +44 20 7855 0268
E-Mail:       partridgec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx     (015)

BORO Centre Limited
Website:                                     www.BOROCentre.com
Registered in England No:   04418581
Registered Office:                  25 Hart Street, Henley on Thames,
Oxfordshire RG9 2AR    (016)

This email message is intended for the named recipient(s) only. It may be
privileged and/or confidential. If you are not an intended named recipient
of this email then you should not copy it or use it for any purpose, nor
disclose its contents to any other person. You should contact BORO Centre
Limited as shown above so that we can take appropriate action at no cost to
yourself. All BORO Centre Limited outgoing E-mails are checked using Anti
Virus software.    (017)