Re: [ontology-summit] The tools are not the problem (yet)

To: ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Ron Wheeler <rwheeler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 09:43:51 -0500
The real test of tool usefulness will be the ability of the tool to work
with BIG DATA bound for Watson.
My feeling is that BM and its Partner base will actively seek out the
big data projects and propose solutions based on Watson.    (01)

Whether these are all successful will be a moot point for the next
period since it will take a while for enough big data projects that have
any ontological input, to be completed.
In the meantime, marketing will beat theory.    (02)

Ron    (03)

On 22/01/2014 2:16 AM, John F Sowa wrote:
> On 1/22/2014 12:01 AM, John McClure wrote:
>> How can FOL'ers not be implicitly derisive of the work RDF'ers are
>> diligently about, when the first reaction is to THROW IT AWAY?
> That's not the point I was trying to make.  I'm sorry that I used
> the phrase 'throw it away' because it was not clear what I was
> rejecting.
>
> First point:  FOL is a small subset of English and other NLs.
> Any language that has the words 'and', 'or', 'not', 'some',
> and 'every' can express full FOL.  We all speak FOL every day.
>
> Second point:  I wasn't rejecting what can be expressed in RDF.
> You can use RDF to describe anything that you see, hear, or feel.
> Every observation in science can be described in RDF.
>
> But RDF can't express negation.  You can't say 'not'.  And if you
> take RDF and add negation, you get -- guess what -- full FOL.
>
> Some things you can't say in RDF:

>       defined as not(not p and not q) -- and RDF can't say 'not'.
>
>    2. Rules:  you can't express an if-then rule in RDF, because
>       (if p then q) is defined as not(p and not q).
>
>    3. Generalizations:  you can express 'all' or 'every' in RDF
>       because 'every cat is an animal' is defined as
>       'it's false that some cat is not an animal'.
>
> My major complaint about RDF is that it makes simple things difficult.
>
> John

Ron Wheeler
President
Artifact Software Inc