Re: [ontology-summit] The tools are not the problem (yet)

To: ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 18:04:33 -0500
On 1/21/2014 5:28 PM, John McClure wrote:
> But the problem is with the way we create ontologies; until we grapple
> with that, "better tools are the answer" is merely lipstick on a pig.    (01)

I wasn't asking for "better tools".  I said that we need to put more
emphasis on "cutting edge research".  The research of the 1980s and
1990s used far better formats than that:    (02)

> SMEs certainly should recoil at stuff like:
>
>     <rdf:Property rdf:about="&p3p;purposeOptIn">
>       <rdfs:label xml:lang="en">purpose(opt in)</rdfs:label>
>       <rdfs:comment>
>         Data may be used for this purpose only when the user
>         affirmatively requests this use.
>       </rdfs:comment>
>       <rdfs:domain rdf:resource="&p3p;Statement"/>
>       <rdfs:range  rdf:resource="&p3p;PurposeClass"/>
>       <rdfs:subPropertyOf rdf:resource="&p3p;purpose"/>
>     </rdf:Property>
>
> No amount of tools, in my humble opinion, will ever hide this odiferous crap.    (03)

Of course not.  That "crap" shouldn't even exist under the covers.
None of the five projects I cited use it. (If somebody gives them
data in that format, the first thing they do is to convert it to
a more usable form.)    (04)