Re: [ontology-summit] The tools are not the problem (yet)

To: ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 21:44:33 -0500
On 1/21/2014 6:15 PM, John McClure wrote:
> how do I answer questions such as recently asked re a Privacy Ontology:
>
>   why start from scratch when others already have spent much time to
>   create distinctions? P3P 1.1:http://www.w3.org/TR/P3P11/
>
> "Reuse" was the promise; empirically it has not been delivered - why not?    (01)

The fatal flaw was the confusion of reuse with the idea that all details
have to be represented in the same notation at the same level.    (02)

The packet switching of TCP/IP is the level where the bits and bytes
of a file are assembled in packets and sent across the wires or waves.
That was the level to address privacy (and thwart "packet sniffing").
But when Arpanet was designed in the late 1960s, privacy issues were
poorly understood.    (03)

When Tim B-L and his group implemented http on top of the Internet
and combined it with SGML, their goal was to make research papers
on physics freely available to researchers around the world.
Privacy was not a requirement.    (04)

JFS
>> If somebody gives them [advanced AI systems] data in RDF format,
>> the first thing they do is to convert it to a more usable form.    (05)

JM
> Oh, what form is that, please. CycL?    (06)

CycL was, in fact, the basis for RDF.  R. V. Guha, who worked with
Tim Bray to specify RDF, had been the associate director of the Cyc
project.  He realized the CycL was too complex for most people, and
he wanted to specify a simple, but usable subset.    (07)

Guha had many years of experience in using LISP for implementing
CycL, and he wanted to use a LISP-based notation for RDF. However,
the W3C was trying to promote XML, and they made the mistake of
voting to use XML for everything.  That is another horrible
example of design by committee.    (08)

JM
> And what happens to "reuse" in this process?    (09)

There had been 40 years of using LISP for the most advanced AI
projects, and 0 years of using *ML languages for anything other
than annotating and formatting documents.  During those 40 years,
programs, data, and ontologies had been circulated in punched cards,
tapes, disks, and networks among researchers around the world.    (010)

The saddest part of the story is that Guha and Bray were working
at Netscape when they defined RDF.  At that time, Netscape had
developed JSON (JavaScript Object Notation) -- which was basically
LISP notation with brackets and curly braces.  If they had adopted
JSON as the notation, they could have had Schema.org in 1999.    (011)