Re: [ontology-summit] The tools are not the problem (yet)

To: ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John McClure <jmcclure@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2014 13:30:15 -0800
Hi Ed,
I agree much of what you say, but would add that there's 100% certainty that your understanding of Concept:A is differs from my understanding. A 'close enough' practical view of reuse is what drives my approach in this matter. In fact many ontologists (and programmers!) mechanistically subclass/subproperty each item in a reused component, specifically to allow for specializations (interesting that there's no subindividuation possible that I know of).

Getting to your defense of Doug's view that RDF is so lacking it's useless for functionally distinguishing between concepts, I am still replying that that's irrelevant to my critique. Let me restate my critique here.
  • (a) If FOL representation is the ideal, then RDF as an FOL subset should conform with its rules
  • (b) The rule for FOL representation is that FOL predicates are coordinate with predicators
  • (c) RDF properties are -- far far too often -- not conforming to this rule for FOL predicates
  • (d) RDF predicates (during ingestion) must be transformed to FOL predicates when non-conforming
  • (e) When not so transformed, FOL predicates are being created that break FOL rules
Consequently the sets of FOL and RDF predicates have exploded to unuseable sizes.

Again, the tools are not the problem -- predicates are the problem. In particular, nounal predicates which flagrantly break the rule for FOL predicates.
/jmc