Re: [ontology-summit] Ontology Summit 2013

To: "'Ontology Summit 2013 discussion'" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Hans Polzer" <hpolzer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2012 22:39:54 -0500
I agree with all that, John. My point was that it's not just a matter of
evaluation criteria. It's also the definition of the context and associated
scope in which the criterion might be applied, as well as the context and
associated scope in which the ontology might be applied. That's as opposed
to the notion that some criterion "Z" is always/universally an assessment
criterion for every possible ontology under every possible context. Maybe
there are such criteria, but I suspect that most assessment criteria are not
universally equally applicable to evaluating an ontology.    (01)

Looking at both the assessment context and the contexts in which the
ontology in question is to be applied will provide a basis for deciding
which of the potential assessment/evaluation criteria, such as the types you
list below, are most appropriate in a given assessment context. "What
difference will it make" is a good question to ask in order to determine
whether a specific criterion makes sense for a given assessment or
application context attribute value range. Some criteria might be
universally applicable, i.e., a "core" set, while others will be appropriate
in specific assessment contexts and in specific application domain contexts.    (02)

Hans    (03)