Re: [ontology-summit] Ontology Summit 2013

To: Ontology Summit 2013 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Amanda Vizedom <amanda.vizedom@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2012 11:49:57 -0500
John, and all,

I am optimistic that this relationship will be quite explicit, and subject to considerable exploration, in the summit.  My optimism stems partly from the way the issues are framed in the announcement; note especially the reference to requirements gathering and analysis. More deeply, I am interpreting language and particular angle of the announcement as incorporating the increasing agreement and emphasis, across the summits of the last few years, on just the relationships you mention.

Best,
Amanda

On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 11:27 AM, John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 12/6/2012 11:47 PM, Michael Gruninger wrote:
> "Ontology Evaluation Across the Ontology Lifecycle"

That's an important topic.  But the lifecycle of an ontology is
co-extensive with the lifecycle of any application or system that
uses or is based on that ontology.

This morning, I sent replies to two email lists that most people
on this list subscribe to.

  1. To Nancy W. on IAOA, I made the point that you can't separate
     the ontology of a system from its architecture or design.

  2. To Rich C. on Ontolog Forum:  "Imagine an IT department that had
     one group doing the architecture, a second group doing the design,
     a third group doing the ontology, and a fourth group doing the
     implementation."

Amanda responded,
> Sadly, John, some of us don't have to imagine this; we can remember it!

I would relate that point to evaluation:  a critical issue in a good
ontology is its accuracy in reflecting the design and/or architecture
of the system.

There are aspects and modules that could be distinguished.  For
example, the complete ontology of a system might combine multiple
modules or microtheories.  But the complete ontology of a system
and its complete architecture must be closely coordinated.

Any evaluation of an ontology must address these issues.

John