Re: [ontology-summit] Ontology Summit 2013

To: ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2012 22:11:59 -0500
On 12/7/2012 3:12 PM, Steve Ray Consulting wrote:
> That’s one reason that ontology **evaluation** is a more focused topic...    (01)

But focused on what?  Any kind of comparison, including evaluation,
implies a criterion of some kind:  "X is better than Y according
to some criterion Z."    (02)

What criterion Z makes one ontology better than another?
What is the purpose of an ontology?  Since this forum is devoted
to computer systems, I assume that we won't be evaluating ontologies
as pure philosophical theories.    (03)

If we evaluate on the basis of size, then Cyc wins.  If we're looking
for longevity, then Aristotle wins.  What are the criteria?  Popularity?
Usability?  Reusability?  Profitability?  Flexibility?  Modularity?
Accuracy?  But accurate in comparison to what?    (04)

For any kind of project, there is one fundamental question:  Why?
If you get an answer that says X is better than Y for criterion Z,
what would you do with that answer?  How would it guide your future
behavior, actions, or choices?  What difference would it make?    (05)

On 12/7/2012 9:11 PM, Hans Polzer wrote:
> A possible ontology assessment criterion along these lines might
> characterize the degree to which the ontology “plays nicely with others”
> or is oblivious to the existence of other ontologies – or attempts to
> subsume them all, depending on ontology scope (another assessment
> criteria set).    (06)

Those are points to consider.  But how do you define "plays nicely"?
And what does an ontology play with?  Other ontologies?  Some computer
system?  Multiple systems?  Languages?  Artificial or Natural?    (07)

Where does it come from?  A repository?  If you have more than one
in a repository, how do you chose which one is best for your purpose?
How do you define or determine purpose?    (08)

What are you evaluating when you evaluate an ontology?  And why?    (09)