Re: [ontology-summit] INCOSE Ontology Action Group, onto SysML/UML

To: "'Ontology Summit 2012 discussion'" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: henson graves <henson.graves@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 10:41:46 -0600
John's principles and their application summarize the issue well for those
who think that formal semantics, and formal ontology have great benefits for
better models, improved collaboration, well-defined standards, and
incorporating reasoning.    (01)

My experience in this arena has been that adoption of modeling languages is
to retrofit what engineers or other modelers find works for them. In doing
so one can generally sell improvement and extensions which bring language
and practice in line with what has been learned and built on from formal
systems. Of course sometimes things go in the other direction. For example
the apparently non-sense notation and practice  of physics eventually had a
strong impact on mathematics. My opinion is that Matthew West's example
should serve the same role for formal foundations. But back to Bradley's
issue.    (02)

I have witnessed the success of the kind of strategy in at least three
cases. I mention the UML situation as it seems topical. First I watched the
adoption of UML/SysML as the standard practice in an aerospace company. This
took about 10 years. Initially there was immense resistance from engineers,
system engineers couldn't see the need for anything beyond PowerPoint and
Excel, and software engineers only wanted to do code. Managers came on board
even more slowly as PowerPoint was the only thing they understood. They ways
were the transition went wrong and what caused it to eventually work are
very interesting but would take too long to spell out here. I only mention
that COBOL and FORTRAN would not have sufficed for this role. The question
of why previous generation of graphical design tools didn't work is very
interesting and has to do with confusions about instances and classes and
part and roles. To address SysML buy in from manager we use SysML to
generate simulation models, both high and low fidelity models. We can
generate better PowerPoint for the managers and customers. Not only do they
explain things well the simulations are tied intrinsically to the design. As
many of you know PowerPoint design generally does not correspond to what the
design actually is. This has obvious advantages.    (03)

So what is the path ahead? Do they need anything better, and how will tech
transition be achieved. Well two things. Here is where I see a practical
problem of interest to engineers which requires a solution that they don't
currently have.  Currently design models do not generally contain
assumptions under which a component of a design is valid. This leads to
inconsistent designs. In engineering terms they make decisions without being
aware of the consequences until units are build and tested. Then the
problems are found and sometimes result in significant cost and schedule
overrun, e.g., several years and hundreds of millions of dollars.  One can
by extending UML with some DL class constructions represent these
assumptions and use automated inference to continually track evolving design
consistency. I think there is good reason to believe that engineers will buy
into this.    (04)

- Henson    (05)