Re: [ontology-summit] INCOSE Ontology Action Group, onto SysML/UML

To: ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2012 23:10:17 -0500
On 3/5/2012 3:36 PM, henson graves wrote:
> I personally have tasked two
> engineers with similar capability to build a model of the molecule Water in
> SysML and in OWL. Take a guess about the results. Also guess how well it can
> be done in either of these languages or other candidates.    (01)

I'm sure that engineers can learn UML or SysML much faster and use it
more effectively and more accurately than OWL.  But since you did the
experiment, I'd like to hear any further details you observed.  Did
you write a report about them?    (02)

And I'd also like to hear the opinions of the engineers about which
tool(s) they would prefer to use and why.    (03)

> I personally am convinced that HOL in the form of type theory will eventually
> win out, but this is pretty much irrelevant to putting a stake in the ground
> with respect to achieving  tech transfer. As you have stated start wherever
> you want, as long as where you start can be given a formal semantics.    (04)

I agree.  But I would avoid using the term "win out" with respect to any
particular notation.    (05)

As I said before, I believe that semantic systems need to support
"anything and everything".  That would include the Semantic Web tools
and many different variations of graphic and linear notations.  Then
people with different backgrounds can view the common semantics in
their preferred notations, and they can use notations that are tailored
to their requirements.    (06)