Re: [ontology-summit] INCOSE Ontology Action Group, onto SysML/UML

To: "'Ontology Summit 2012 discussion'" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: henson graves <henson.graves@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2012 12:08:51 -0600
David,
As you know human artifacts turn out to be useful for purposes which their
designers never imagined or intended, in this case I am speaking of both UML
and OWL.     (01)

The basis for my experiment was that I wanted to see how suitable UML/SysML
was for chemistry and biomedical applications. I am aware of how OWL and
extensions have been used in this arena. My take away from the experiment of
building a water molecule in SysML is that UML is very suitable for these
applications. The experiment also helped me pinpoint where UML/SysML lacked
DL expressivity that is really needed in UML/SysML.     (02)

Regarding OWL it sounds like you also have the view that it is for use only
by ontologists to do whatever they do and by software engineers, but not
system engineers.  Indeed many OWLites may think this way.  My earliest
interest in OWL, following your lead, was to find out if OWL could be used
for engineering purposes.  The answer is that it makes good sense, but there
are some limitations. The initial result of this inquire is  a paper with
Ian Horrocks, entitled Application of OWL 1.1 to Systems Engineering. Pros
and cons are discussed.     (03)

Back to the water molecule it is very interesting to compare the results in
both languages. Both results are partial due to limitations on both
languages.  My reason for doing the experiment was exactly to sort out these
issues, not advocate for one religion or the other. I hope, based on these
comments, you can understand why I would do the experiment. Am I free to
quote that you cannot imagine why I would do such an experiment when I
publish the paper.     (04)

I don't think that your proposed comparison is the correct one.    (05)

- Henson    (06)