Re: [ontology-summit] INCOSE Ontology Action Group, onto SysML/UML

To: "'Ontology Summit 2012 discussion'" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: safriedenthal@xxxxxxxxxxx
From: henson graves <henson.graves@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2012 14:31:49 -0600
John,
I did not prepare a formal report on the SysmL and OWL comparison and I
wouldn't have been able to release it if I had. My post in response to David
Price should give you an indication as to what I was trying to accomplish
and actually accomplished. Regarding opinion of engineers about what tools
they prefer this naturally is a function of experience and training. Ten
years ago engineers on large programs that I have direct experience with
resisted UML very strongly. By 2010 almost all of these engineers or their
replacements are very happy to use UML\SysML. In 2000 not only did engineers
resist UML but their efforts were unsuccessful. Huge sums of money were
spent with no positive return on investment. This is not the case now in the
situations where I have direct knowledge. I am sure other industry people
would have similar stories, their time lines may lag or lead the one I am
describing. This is one of the reasons I cannot report directly on my
experiments.     (01)

By the way, as should be clear from everything that I have posted it should
be clear that I while I strongly believe and have evidence for the need for
HOL, I in no way think that engineers need to switch to some specific
archaic linear syntax suitable for logicians to prove things about HOL. In
my view they can at least use a graphic SysML based graphic syntax with some
extensions. Perhaps  autopoietic systems can learn or be built so that they
can expel complex models (axiom sets) as clouds of gas, thereby eliminating
not only textual, but graphical syntax.     (02)

- Henson    (03)