Re: [ontology-summit] INCOSE Ontology Action Group, onto SysML/UML

To: Ontology Summit 2012 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Bradley Shoebottom <bradley.shoebottom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 12:48:34 +0000
Hello all,    (01)

I have been following this conversation with interest because my company
creates documentation and learning materials for complex systems (oil refinery
assets, telecommunications routing and switching gear).    (02)

We are trying to grapple with a way that the system engineers create knowledge
representations of their systems and data models and then be able to link those
specifications to product features that then get turned into information
products. This way, when a data property gets changed, a feature is added or
dropped, we can more easily adjust our information product deliverables rather
then re-reading Word document specification documents.     (03)

Since our information is created in OASIS DITA XML, RDF and OWL seem to be
attractive mechanisms. The difficulty is that we can create knowledge models
suitable for publishing information, but the system engineers are not using
this toolset. Getting them on-board is our missing link.     (04)

One of questions is do we extend OWL right to the engineers, or let them use
their current modelling tools and try to map to OWL.    (05)

We do not have a complete answer, but a decade for user adoption phase-in is a
bit disheartening.    (06)

Bradley Shoebottom
Information Architect - R&D, Innovatia Inc.
Tel: (506) 674-5439  |  Skype: bradleyshoebottom  | Toll-Free: 1-800-363-3358
begin_of_the_skype_highlighting
bradley.shoebottom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx | www.innovatia.net | Follow us on Twitter    (07)