Re: [ontology-summit] [Ontology Application Framework] How to connect on

To: Ontology Summit 2011 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ali Hashemi <ali@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 12:10:12 -0400
Hi Ron,

On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 11:28 AM, Ron Wheeler <rwheeler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

"IBM and Nuance Communications Inc. are partnering for the research project to develop a commercial product during the next 18 to 24 months that will exploit Watson’s capabilities as a clinical decision support system to aid the diagnosis and treatment of patients. Physicians at Columbia University are helping identify critical issues in the practice of medicine where the Watson technology may be able to contribute and physicians at the University of Maryland are working to identify the best way that a technology like Watson could interact with medical practitioners to provide the maximum assistance.[64] It has been also suggested by Robert C. Weber, IBM's general counsel, that Watson may be used for legal research.[65]"

Nuance is the maker of Dragon Dictate which has a medical version for voice recognition of medical speech that can be used for medical record transcription.

Nuance claims to have quite a bit more than just Speech-to-Text software, indeed they tout a medical ontology which is HL7 compliant:

and

with a touch more information here: http://www.nuance.com/healthcare/products/ontology.asp

Here is an odd marketing(?) video that provides a brief overview for those who prefer talking heads to printed words: http://www.youtube.com/user/SavetheDrNote#p/a/u/0/dvDyZDS6M1s <--- this might be of use in the making the case track. Perhaps an obvious observation, but in this video, Janet Dillione's choice of terminology was noteworthy. Specifically, she consistently framed the technology as making meaning accessible, and how they aid in the narratives that professionals employ in their day-to-day work, staying away from theories, ontology etc. I'm not sure who the target audience of this video is...

I'm a bit behind on the talks and have yet to completely go through the audio components of them all, but having scanned the chats, slides and associated webpages from the sessions, I have not been able to find a wiki page on the following: Have we compiled and cataloged the different vocabularies (in practice or theory) that people have been employing to talk about ontologies or more generally, semantic technologies to varying audiences?

Lastly, this article roughly describes the role that Nuance's Clinical Language Understanding technology (and 1.5 mill concept ontology) is envisaged to play in conjunction with Watson's QA capability.

Best,
Ali