Re: [ontology-summit] [Ontology Application Framework] How to connect on

To: ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Ron Wheeler <rwheeler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2011 11:44:29 -0400
On 01/04/2011 11:04 AM, Mills Davis wrote:
John,

You raise more than a good point. I think it is a wake-up call. There's no paradigm shift unless we can all play, and all gain benefits.

A key theme should be empowering  business users, subject matter experts, knowledge workers, consumers etc. to model knowledge (semantics, business rules, etc.) in a ways that are natural to them. (e.g., as a by-product of something they already know how to do).  Companies that I am seeing gaining traction in the market (two illustrations are Cambridge Semantics and BeInformed) are doing so because they've focused on user empowerment as a foundation for their knowledge-driven solution capabilities. A corollary is the need for software that these people can can help with the process of extracting (transforming & curating) such knowledge from (and to) documents, informational graphics, code, and other information forms.

Meanwhile for IT solution engineering, why shouldn't all requirements be deeply traceable from RFP to proposal to its fulfillment in a design, that also executes directly, and can be explored through simulation, and documents itself, and explains its reasoning, etc.? In such an environment  cost and time to solution can be significantly reduced, along with development risk.  Total cost of ownership can be driven down by quantum steps.

But wait, there's more.  Let's assume SME's, business users, and IT can build something sustainably that's ontology driven, will anyone come?  User experience is always a  key battleground for technology adoption.  For some clue as to a perspective that many ontologists are missing, we have only to look at what Apple and Tom Gruber are doing with SIRI and imagine how user experience in iOS, Android, RIM mobile ecosystems will evolve as Tablet PCs grow to a $100B+ market over the next couple of years. Then think how this is a game changer for enterprises.

Isn't that the promise and premise of IBM's technology used to construct Watson.
It is supposed to integrate the "definiteness" of ontology with the insight drawn from conflicting and ambiguous knowledge floating loose in academic papers and popular media.

At the moment it is difficult to know how this is going to arrive on the desktop of a surgeon at the Cleveland Clinic but it is coming to Healthcare first.
There will certainly be a need in each organization to integrate the proprietary knowledge that the organization has in its various systems, with the "Watson" package.

"Training a Watson" will become a job fought over by SME's, ontologists and IT people.

There will also be a need to get everyone to understand the way answers are presented and to appreciate the change from systems that are 100% definite about a result and ones that are more nuanced in their pronouncements.
We have much different expectations currently. We like our machines 100% correct but insist on overriding their pronouncements based on human judgment.
It will be fun to see the "my Watson says buy, your Watson is wrong to want to sell." arguments in the boardrooms of financial institutions!

Ron

Mills