Re: [ontology-summit] [Ontology Application Framework] How to connect on

To: Ontology Summit 2011 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Mike Bennett <mbennett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2011 15:47:48 +0100
That's very interesting. The diagram looks a little scary to say
the least. Have people moved some of the semantics "heavy
lifting" into the area of queries and does this point up some
disconnect in the use of ontology itself? I think you raise some
important questions. I'll have a more detailed read over the
weekend in case I am being unfair.    (01)

Mike    (02)

On 01/04/2011 15:20, John F. Sowa wrote:
> Adrian and Mike,
>
> AW
>> Congratulations on bringing a pivotal insight to the table.
> Thanks, but it is only the beginning of what we need to understand.
>
> MB
>> I think in many ways ontology is more alien to IT than it is to
>> business. The hardest thing we find is ensuring that the IT folks
>> understand that it's not a data model, understand why it's not a
>> data model and how it differs from a data model.
> There's a lot of truth to that.  Ontologies can help clarify the
> terminology that is used in the business.  But if they are going
> to be connected to the data that the business uses, there must be
> some way of connecting the ontology to those data models.
>
> To see the problems involved, please look at the diagram that
> shows how Cyc is connected to the application at the Cleveland
> Clinic -- Figure 1 on Page 7 of the following paper.
>

>http://www.cyc.com/technology/whitepapers_dir/Harnessing_Cyc_to_Answer_Clincal_Researchers_ad_hoc_Queries.pdf
>
> Note the upper-left corner of the diagram:  it shows the experts
> who are doing the "consensus k.b. building".  How do they do that?
> With what tools?  And who trains them in how to do that?
>
> Then look at the lower-left side with the SQL historical records
> that were developed over the years by the IT staff.  Those records
> contain critical data that must be used by Cyc.  But who relates
> that data, its meaning, and its APIs to the ontology on the right
> side of Figure 1 and to the "consensus k.b." by the experts?
>
> At the bottom is the SDB (Semantic Data Base) represented as
> triples that come from some web sources.  Who relates the
> semantics of those triples to the "consensus k.b.", the SQL
> database, and the ontology on the right side?
>
> Finally, notice the lower-right corner with "texts, forms,
> instruments", "web services", "data and knowledge management",
> and "data entry, data query, process management".  Who relates
> all those things to all the things above?
>
> For years, the IT staff had been developing the technology that
> runs all the computer services at the clinic.  Then the Cyclers
> gifted them with a totally foreign bunch of APIs and knowledge
> sources that create a huge "disconnect" with everything they
> had ever done.
>
> What can we do to bridge that disconnect?
>
> John

Mike Bennett
Director
Hypercube Ltd.
89 Worship Street
London EC2A 2BF
Tel: +44 (0) 20 7917 9522
Mob: +44 (0) 7721 420 730
www.hypercube.co.uk
Registered in England and Wales No. 2461068    (04)