Re: [ontology-summit] Making the case for formal ontology and deep seman

To: "'Ontology Summit 2011 discussion'" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Matthew West" <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 19:03:53 +0100
Dear John,    (01)

I was not explicit enough.    (02)

> MW
> > Whilst I agree that the use of deep semantics has been neglected in
> this
> > summit, I do not think that your characterisation of terminology
> work, LOD,
> > and other shallow semantics as "low hanging fruits" is accurate. I
> think a
> > more accurate characterisation would be that these are most of all
> the fruit
> > there are, but that there are also some exotic fruit that use deep
> > semantics.    (03)

JS
> Matthew and Mike are right about what is being done with the methods
> available for the Semantic Web, but that is my major criticism of
> the Semantic Web:  it uses only a tiny fraction of the technology
> that was developed for AI, NLP, *and* commercial IT.    (04)

MW: I was picking up on Peter's statement, but also intending to include not
just SW technologies, but also SQL based systems, in particular where
relatively simple things like identity management through things like Master
Data Management are concerned in support of data integration.

> Matthew called the AI technology other than OWL "exotic", but
> that is only true if you define the Semantic Web as "mainstream".
> However, we would not need this Ontology Summit if the SW were
> truly mainstream.    (05)

MW: The problems with analogy... My main point was that the use of
inferencing engines is relatively rare compared to all the SQL data that
needs to be integrated. I certainly don't count OWL as mainstream yet.    (06)

> I do agree with Matthew that shallow semantics and LOD are
> "low hanging fruit" for some kinds of applications.  But those
> are new applications that are very different from traditional IT.

> SQL is not exotic, it is very low-hanging fruit, it is intimately
> integrated with mainstream IT, and it runs many more commercial
> web sites than OWL.  If anybody asked me which would survive
> longer -- SQL or OWL -- I would not bet on OWL.    (07)

MW: And it is what I was thinking of, even if I did not get the words right.
(I think it was Yogi Bera who was quoted as saying "Why do they always print
what I say, rather than what I mean!")    (08)

Regards    (09)

Matthew West
Information  Junction
Tel: +44 1489 880185
Mobile: +44 750 3385279
Skype: dr.matthew.west
matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.informationjunction.co.uk/
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/    (010)

This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England
and Wales No. 6632177.
Registered office: 2 Brookside, Meadow Way, Letchworth Garden City,
Hertfordshire, SG6 3JE.    (011)