Re: [ontology-summit] Making the case for formal ontology and deep seman

To: Mike Bennett <mbennett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ontology Summit 2011 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Peter Yim <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 11:57:14 -0700
Mike and All,    (01)

The application/use cases that were featured in earlier panel sessions
(not just from Track-2, but track-5 and even 4 as well) were
absolutely great!  Therefore, please understand that there is
absolutely no "value" judgment on my part, when I made my earlier
post.  If you ask me, the Watson-Jeopardy case is stunning, and we'd
be remiss if we did not feature it, despite the fact that it is not
deep semantics, and only used ontologies peripherally.    (02)

I know we did not have time to showcase everything. I was only trying
to highlight the fact that we were somewhat skewed towards presenting
the "ontologically easier" stuff (I still remember Nicola's constant
reminder that this is supposed to be "Hard" and I asked, where are the
"ontologically harder" stuff?) ... and suggest that we steer ourselves
toward a more balanced exposition of the techniques, opportunities and
potential benefits of that whole spectrum of applications.    (03)

It might also be useful to capture/highlight some of salient and
promising "mixed approaches" that have been discussed, like:    (04)

* statistical + ontological    (05)

* terminological + ontological    (06)

* extending/associating domain ontologies from fully axiomatized CL
(FOL) upper ontologies    (07)

*  ... etc.    (08)

Thanks & regards.  =ppy    (09)

p.s.  btw, I actually did mean to reference your slides #9 and #10
(just ended up mentioning #10 was a typo on my part.)
--    (010)