Re: [ontology-summit] Making the case for formal ontology and deep seman

To: "'Ontology Summit 2011 discussion'" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Matthew West" <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 09:31:27 +0100
Dear Peter,    (01)

> Use cases of serious ontology work that supports deep semantics,
> reasoning, inferencing, etc. are being overshadowed by "low hanging
> fruits, terminology work, LOD, and other shallow semantics
> applications.     (02)

MW: Whilst I agree that the use of deep semantics has been neglected in this
summit, I do not think that your characterisation of terminology work, LOD,
and other shallow semantics as "low hanging fruits" is accurate. I think a
more accurate characterisation would be that these are most of all the fruit
there are, but that there are also some exotic fruit that use deep
semantics.    (03)

Regards    (04)

Matthew West
Information  Junction
Tel: +44 1489 880185
Mobile: +44 750 3385279
Skype: dr.matthew.west
matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.informationjunction.co.uk/
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/    (05)

This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England
and Wales No. 6632177.
Registered office: 2 Brookside, Meadow Way, Letchworth Garden City,
Hertfordshire, SG6 3JE.    (06)