[ontology-summit] Making the case for formal ontology and deep semantics

To: Ontology Summit 2011 <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Peter Yim <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2011 18:37:57 -0700
Our Mar-31 panel session highlighted one of my worries ...    (01)

In all our sincerity to hide the complexity of the problems and the
solution approaches, we have, disproportionately, focused our
attention to present the "easy" stuff, and slighted the "difficult"
stuff, where some the real promises and potentials of the ontological
engineering approach are to be realized.    (02)

Use cases of serious ontology work that supports deep semantics,
reasoning, inferencing, etc. are being overshadowed by "low hanging
fruits, terminology work, LOD, and other shallow semantics
applications. Slide#10 of the Track-2 Report ([2-Bennett] presentation
under: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2011_03_31#nid2QT2
) confirmed those worries of mine. Not that they are unavailable (or
we don't know about them), but none of the dozens of cases we had gone
through, for example, applied Common Logic (or even First Order
Logic)!    (03)

I hope this issue can be address, in the rest of the Summit
activities, especially through this discussion list, the Communique,
and the proceedings of the OntologySummit2011 Symposium.    (04)

Thanks & regards.  =ppy