Re: [ontology-summit] [Quality] What means

To: Ontology Summit 2008 <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Chris Menzel <chris.menzel@xxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 08:32:20 -0700
At 10:01 PM -0400 3/27/08, John F. Sowa wrote:
>Folks,
>
>I mostly agree with Chris on these points:
>
>CM> Truth may often be very much bound to context, but it
>  > certainly doesn't follow that it is relative.  The laws of
>  > logic, natural laws, and a huge number of common facts are
>  > not in the least relative.
>
>CM> Approximation is approximation to the truth, and reasonable
>  > doubt is reasonable doubt about the truth.  Truth is not (merely)
>  > a topic for idle philosophical speculation.  It is central to
>  > the way we conceptualize the world.
>
>CM> It's nice when we can verify what others claim, but truth
>  > certainly doesn't depend on it.
>
>In short, truth is a goal that we (and all other animals on earth)
>try to approximate as best we can, at least for issues of vital
>concern:  earn a living, and avoid dangers such as falling off
>the edge of a precipice and getting beat up, stepped on, or eaten.    (01)

"I can think of nothing more gallant, even though again and again we
fail, than attempting to get at the facts; attempting to tell things
as they really are. For at least reality, though never fully
attained, can be defined. Reality is that which, when you don't
believe in it, doesn't go away." - Peter Viereck    (02)

Pat
IHMC            (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.    (850)202 4416   office
http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes      phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us
http://www.flickr.com/pathayes/collections    (03)