Re: [ontology-summit] [Quality] What means

To: "Ontology Summit 2008" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Sharma, Ravi" <Ravi.Sharma@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 08:49:19 -0600

Peter, John    (01)

Truth is relative and is to be examined in the context (concept?). In
ancient literature examples of Truth are Sun and the Moon. They thought
hey would never vanish! What happens to them (Truth) after 15B Years -
as we think we know as of now and even that knowledge is changing?     (02)

Truth is also what others can verify. Lasers are application of science
of coherent optics, namely underlying natural laws of physics. Einstein
said he was interested in that world which could also be verified by
others and that generally applies to physics.     (03)

For varied Life sciences and even more complex social systems (which are
hard to qualify as far as truth is concerned) and it is even more
relative in that sense.    (04)

In very recent times such as 60-70 years ago Gandhi tried to apply same
logical principles to social justice, but some of these worked because
the British, even then, were quite sensitive and responsible. But
against a brick wall or dictatorship it would not have been a truthful
experiment. Please refer to His book "My Experiments with Truth" dealing
with social systems.    (05)

I do not mean static only as dynamic or changing systems are also
"true"!    (06)

Finally, I agree that we decide the purpose and scope and define what we
consider to be true (valid, approximately valid, asymptotically valid,
or statistically valid etc.) in that space.    (07)

How would ontologies deal with statistics?
Thanks.    (08)

Ravi    (09)

(Dr. Ravi Sharma) Senior Enterprise Architect    (010)

Vangent, Inc. Technology Excellence Center (TEC)    (011)

8618 Westwood Center Drive, Suite 310, Vienna VA 22182
(o) 703-827-0638, (c) 313-204-1740 www.vangent.com    (012)

Professional viewpoints do not necessarily imply organizational
endorsement.    (013)