Re: [ontology-summit] [Quality] What means

To: Ontology Summit 2008 <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 21:59:28 -0400
Peter,    (01)

We make approximations to what we believe is true for many
different purposes, but that doesn't affect the point that
the truth itself (whether we know it or not) doesn't change.    (02)

 > Does light travel in a straight line, "in truth" no, but for
 > all purposes here on earth to say it does would be a true
 > statement.    (03)

Even that has to be qualified.  When light moves from air to
water, it bends.  As a result, a straight stick placed in
looks broken. And the naked eye can detect so-called "heat waves"
caused by the uneven bending of light when passing through air
at different temperatures.    (04)