Re: [ontology-summit] Ontology Summit 2007 Survey

To: "Ontology Summit 2007 Forum" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Peter Yim" <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 07:15:41 -0800
John,    (01)

In my covering message to the survey, I thought I did explain (ref:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/ontology-summit/2007-03/msg00040.html#nid04):    (02)

//
With your input, we hope to clarify what everyone (coming from
different constituency) mean when they use the term "ontology" or
when they refer to related semantic structures; and with that,
help everyone better understand the different types of
"ontologies" or "semantic structures" that fall broadly within
the spectrum. By doing so, the research, development and Internet
communities would, hopefully, have a better way of comparing,
combining and mapping ontologies to one another.
//    (03)

We did discuss the process we will be stepping through for the
"Ontology Summit 2007" initiative during the earlier Feb-15 conference
call (see:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2007_02_15#nidU8H)
... while only presented as a draft process, this is what I am going
by (because there was no objection received, and there isn't another
competing process on the table) as well as the Mar-15 call (see:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2007_03_15#nidV1Y).    (04)

> What is going to happen to these surveys?    (05)

As mentioned, Leo Obrst and Michael Gruninger are championing the
development of a framework (and typology) that could facilitate the
placement of different "ontology" or "ontology-related" terms and
artifacts.    (06)

We will collect the input, and, as you suggested, summarize them,
analyze them, and boil them down. The deliverables would be in the
final 2-days' face-to-face workshop and symposium (Apr. 23 & 24, at
NIST - Gaithersburg, Maryland, US) and a written communique (like last
year) that we could all present to the rest of the world.    (07)

Your (and everyone's) contribution to any part of this process is
welcomed and valued.    (08)

Regards.  =ppy