Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology based conversational interfaces

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <metasemantics@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2015 18:27:21 -0700

Dear Ravi,

I agree that we see the same thing differently.  It was well explained in the quote:

Thus, whereas sensation prescissed and taken as such actively

filters but passively receives incoming stimuli, perception by contrast

actively structures sensation into things to be sought, things to be avoided,

and things that don't matter one way or the other. Yet what constitutes

a pattern of stimuli as desirable and to be sought or menacing and to

be avoided depends less on the stimuli than upon the biological constitu-

tion of the organism receiving the stimuli. Thus, the pattern of stimuli,

in perception as contrasted to sensation as such, is actively woven, not

passively received. Between and among sensory elements of stimulation,

the organism itself weaves a network of subsequent relations which obtain

only in the perceiving, not prior to and independent of it.

What does " prescissed " mean?  I can't get google to define it, or anywhere else.

So he defines sensation as the impinging of energy onto sensors, while the perception is the active interpretation of the said senses' sensations.  The quote is from page 4/13 of:

https://manoftheword.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/umwelt-deely.pdf

From the same source, on page 5/13:

So it is clear that experience, for any organism, does not simply consist of

anything that is `there' prior to and independently of the experience, but

only of `what is there' within and dependently upon the experience.

So that, however many or few relations within the experience may also obtain

independently of the experience, these relationships have meaning only

insofar as and as they are incorporated with that larger network of

relations which constitutes perception in contrast to (while inclusive of)

sensation, upon whose pattern the appearance of objects as such depends.

And this larger network involves relations which would not obtain but for

the biological constitution of the perceiving organism acting as inter-

pretant even of what is given in sensation along with, indeed, within, the

perception of objects as objects.

The objective meaning of each world and each part

within each world depends less on physical being than it does on how the

relations constituting the Umwelt intersect. The difference between objects

and things makes mistakes possible, but it is also what makes for the

possibility of meaning in life, and different meanings in different lives.

That makes the umwelt pretty clearly:

that segment of reality which the organism senses and then perceives.

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper,

Rich Cooper,

Chief Technology Officer,

MetaSemantics Corporation

MetaSemantics AT EnglishLogicKernel DOT com

( 9 4 9 ) 5 2 5-5 7 1 2

http://www.EnglishLogicKernel.com