Re: [ontolog-forum] Financial Industry Business Ontology (FIBO)

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2014 16:59:05 -0500
On 12/14/2014 3:56 PM, William Frank wrote:
> There are two dysfunctional characteristics that seem to me
> to be at play here.
>
> 1. Standardize everything first, then use it later, if at all.
>    No more try before you buy.
>
> 2. Talk (or code) first, learn (or reuse) never.    (01)

I strongly agree.  A while ago, some people thought it was a good
idea to have "proactive" standards -- i.e., that the standards
committees ought to "lead" the implementers toward a better way.    (02)

Some leadership is useful, if and when there is an emerging consensus
on general principles, but disagreement on details.    (03)

A good example is ECMAScript, which took the lead in harmonizing
the many different versions of JavaScript.  That was a routine
case of choosing a standard set of naming and coding conventions
for features that were well tested in applications.    (04)

I'll avoid citing bad examples (a) because we all know many, and
(b) it would just provoke flame wars.    (05)