Re: [ontolog-forum] Financial Industry Business Ontology (FIBO)

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2014 22:12:38 -0500

For what it’s worth in this discussion, I did an exercise several months back to see what would be required to use the COSMO foundation ontology as a top level for the FIBO ontology, and, more generally, to determine how much effort would be required to use the COSMO as a top level for domain-specific ontologies generally, as a support for  semantic interoperability.

I used the OWL versions of the FIBO modules that I could find at that time, and made an integrated version of that – having to tweak the headers to make it look like one ontology, then extracted from the full COSMO (http://micra.com/COSMO/COSMO.owl) those entities needed as the higher-level elements of COSMO that would allow relating FIBO elements to other things in the world.  I did cheat on one point: I removed the parent relation from “Person” to “Animal” to avoid having to include all those  classes and relations needed to understand what an “Animal” is, and which were not used in the FIBO modules (at that time; of course they can be added in very simply when needed).  Otherwise, it went fairly smoothly, though I didn’t try too hard to make an integrated hierarchy of relations – that would require knowing the logical inferences implied by the relations, which I could only guess at.  The exercise took about a week.

The result (http://micra.com/COSMO/FIBO/FIBOwCOSMOs.owl) can be viewed perspicuously  in OWL 4.3.  The merged FIBO modules had 158 classes and 110 object properties, the FIBO-COSMO merged  ontology had 657 classes and 268 object properties.  Since the full COSMO has about 8000 classes and 976 object properties (at this point) I am encouraged to think that integration of multiple ontologies would be quite feasible without exploding the size of the foundation ontology used for integration.  Most of those additional 500 classes from COSMO would probably be used for a top level  in many other domain ontologies.

 Lots more work needs doing.  I have been in touch in the past with Mike Bennet, but never got into details about this experiment.

I have moved on to other things, but can still spend some time on this if there is some actual application that can provide a realistic test of the utility of the FIBO ontology.

As to how one should document an ontology, my own view is that  a top-level ontology that includes primitives (and is not used only in one specific application, but used for interoperability among independently developed ontologies) requires  good comprehensive text documentation of the elements  that describes clearly the intended meaning, to serve as a substitute for the “procedural semantics” that could be derived from standardized sensor and robotics procedures that could provide automated grounding of meaning.   Until such standard procedural calls are developed, users will have to read the documentation to determine what each term means, and decide how that fits into their local applications and what local terms have the same or related meaning.  Some of the COSMO elements have rather large documentation. Maybe excessive, but one wants to avoid any unnecessary ambiguity.

Pat

Patrick Cassidy

MICRA Inc.

cassidy@xxxxxxxxx